Thank you for checking out our website. We love our community and long to be a place WHERE FAMILY THRIVES - in our homes and in the church. are excited about all that God is doing at our church. We hope you will worship with us soon and experience being a part of God's family. Don't hesitate to connect with me or any of our staff. It would be our pleasure to serve you in any way.
Seeking to love and live like Jesus,
Jeff Gongwer - Lead Pastor
8:15 AM: LIFE Groups (Bible Study Classes)
9:30 AM: Blended Worship Service & LIFE Groups (Bible Study Classes)
11:00 AM: Contemporary Worship Service & LIFE Groups (Bible Study Classes)
6:30 PM: STOMP Children’s Choir for 3 yrs thru 5th grade (during school year)
6:30 PM: Adult Discipleship Groups (fall and winter/spring semesters)
Adult Choir Rehearsal
Mount Zion Students Program (Doors open at 6:00pm)
7:15 PM: iKids Discipleship for Preschool and Children (during school year- Children’s activities offered during summer)
(All programming ends at 8:00pm)
Mount Zion Baptist Church desires to glorify God by intentionally reaching Gwinnett County and beyond with the life-transforming message of the Gospel, making disciples and strengthening families within a Bible-believing, multi-generational, and ethnically-diverse community of believers.
THE EARLY YEARS
In 1852 the churches of Rock Mountain Association contributed funds to employ a missionary, Rev. John C. Bartlett, to preach the gospel to destitute parts of the association. Rev. Bartlett led 13 charter members of Mount Zion in prayer and provided for them a constitution on August 3,1853. This was his last major effort in his life, he died a month later at the age of 30. Mount Zion has prevailed against the ravages of war, depression, hardship, and trials. In September of 1853, the first offering was taken and was less than a dollar. The first building program was in October of 1853 (see picture to the right). In September of 1854 the church had almost doubled and had 24 members. Several children of the charter members and early members of Mount Zion lost family members in the Civil War. Three acres of land where given by Levi Loveless and James Flowers to Mount Zion. Mount Zion began the first Sabbath school in March of 1900 (we know this now as Sunday school). There were 52 people that day for Sunday school, and the sanctuary was divided by curtains to make four separate classrooms.
THE CHURCH CONTINUES TO GROW
In 1947 the church installed electric lighting. Prior to this there were candles in the sanctuary and the pastor would read with a kerosene lamp. This ground-breaking service for a new building took place on June 20th, 1949. Construction on this facility took four years to complete with men working as money became available. The new church building was dedicated on the 100th year church anniversary in 1953. It still stands and is used for Bible study space.
1948- First Vacation Bible School
1972- Church voted to construct 600 seat sanctuary (it serves as our Student Center and part of our Weekday Preschool space)
1975- Mount Zion Weekday Preschool opens
1976- Church bought five additional acres
1977- Church builds Christian Life Center and education building
2000- Present sanctuary and renovations were completed